Decorating: Boho Chic Living Room


We have recently decorated our living room, which was well overdue. After a few weeks of frenetic activity, we were almost there. I’d painted the living room, chosen and ordered the new carpet and had it fitted, the new blinds too, the new sofa and chair eventually delivered.

Plum & PK test out the new sofa

Plum & PK test out the new sofa

We had a problem though. We had a severe lack of storage. Most of my crocheting takes place in the living room, and although my yarn lives in a cupboard upstairs, the pieces I’m working on (and I can never work on just one piece at a time) are “stored” downstairs, which means there’s always a heap of yarn, half crocheted pieces and a some hooks in use at any one time. We needed useful storage.

I made this!

I made this!

I wanted something a bit unusual, but that would fit with the decor. The new sofa is a deep purple and the cushions (and my lovely new chair) are bold prints with purple, pink and two shades of green. I crocheted a new rug to match those colours, and I will be crocheting a cover for our new light shade to co-ordinate too.

The merchant chest before I got my hands on it

The merchant chest before I got my hands on it

I hunted for storage that would fit. I remembered seeing a chest of drawers in The Range last year that I loved, but it was long gone by now. I found some stunning pieces on the internet but they were out of budget by several hundred pounds! A friend suggested I make my own, which was a great idea. I found a chest of drawers I liked (called a merchant’s chest) and ordered it. Even though I’ve never used chalky finish paint before, I knew I wanted to have a go. After a bit of research, I discovered Rustoleum, a brand that had great reviews, but that came in small pots – I wanted nine different colours, but wasn’t going to be using much of each, so really didn’t want to pay something like £15 per colour.

After some more reading I knew I’d have to remove the waxed finish off the drawers so the paint would adhere to the wood properly. I bought some Fluxaf Pro Clean, which made the job very easy. And then it was ready to paint! Each drawer took two coats of paint and then once dry, I waxed them which really brought out the colour and will also protect the finish.

drawers

The handles which came with the chest were not quirky enough for me, so I bought new ones. This was definitely the most difficult part of the entire project. I decided on owl handles, since the chest was going to store my crochet and yarn, and my crochet business is Wide Eyed Owl. I wanted every handle to be different however, which added to the difficulty. There’s no shortage of owl handles out there, but finding nine different ones, that complimented each other but weren’t too similar was hard! In the end I accidentally had two of the same design in different colours but I don’t mind.

2016-08-13 10.23.19-1

I absolutely adore the finished product and knowing I created it and there’s not another one like it just makes it even better.

Ta Daaaa!

Ta Daaaa!

Once I finished, the two little chests of drawers we already had in the front room looked sad in comparison. There was plenty of paint left in the tester pots I bought, so I set to work on those too. The heart cutouts, whilst lovely, were not very practical for us, so we turned the drawers around and bought handles for them. I didn’t want to carry the theme of owls across to these, because they were our knick-knack drawers, so I found some hand painted ceramic handles on Etsy that worked well. And here they are after their makeover!

before and after

before and after

I’ve definitely got the bug now and want to makeover more furniture. I’ve already found a secondhand desk for my new office which was only £20 and could do with some attention, so that is the next project. I just need to decide what to do with it!

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

%d bloggers like this: