Gluten Free Spaghetti Bolognese
I wasn’t sure whether I should post this recipe, but decided to go ahead for several reasons. Although I suspect most people reading this will already have their own recipe, there may be some people who have been used to using a pre-prepared sauce who now find they need to make it themselves for dietary reasons. And it’s always good to see what other people do with classic dish.
My naturally gluten free bolognese sauce is very simple – we prefer it this way. However, if you want a more veg-packed sauce, you can use my meatball sauce instead, and add it to the browned minced beef.
- 500g lean minced beef
- 500g passata
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- dash of gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- small handful fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Gently heat 2 tsp olive oil in a heavy based frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Stir and allow to soften.
- Add the minced beef and brown it all over. Stir often to make sure it all browns.
- When all the meat is brown, add the passata and stir in the oregano.
- Add a good shake of Worcestershire sauce (to taste) and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook gently for 10 minutes and then stir in the tomato purée.
- Tear up the basil leaves (don't cut basil leaves or they'll turn brown/black) and add to the sauce. Cook gently for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite gluten free spaghetti and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.