Tomato and Mascapone Pasta Bake
This is my son’s favourite meal, without a doubt. We’ve stopped asking him to choose what we have to eat, because the answer is always the same – pasta bake.
The gluten free pasta bake I make changes, depending on what is in the fridge and whether today feels like a vegetarian day or not (I was vegetarian for nearly ten years, and although I eat some meat now, about half the meals I cook are vegetarian). So anyway, feel free to change some of these ingredients to include what you find in your fridge, or what your family likes. The recipe below is based on what tends to go in as a minimum (with the addition of bacon – I don’t always use it), but other things I include are mangetout or sugar snap peas, sweetcorn, broccoli and sometimes I use pulses.
- 2 peppers, whatever colour you wish, chopped
- 1 onion, either red or white, finely sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- approx 6 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 250g gluten free pasta
- 125g mascarpone cheese
- 200g passata
- 125g mozzarella, grated
- small handful fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 4 slices of extra lean bacon, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200˚c
- Cook the gluten free pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, soften the onions, peppers and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Add the bacon, if using and cook through.
- When the bacon is cooked, add the sliced mushrooms and cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes. At this point you can put in anything else you wish and let it cook for a couple of minutes before moving on to the next stage.
- In a bowl, mix the passata and mascarpone cheese, season with salt and pepper. Tear up the basil leaves and stir into the tomato mixture. Pour over the vegetables and warm through.
- Stir in the pasta and then put it all into an ovenrproof dish.Cover the top with a generous layer of grated mozzarella cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven, uncovered for 20 minutes (less if you don't want the top layer of cheese to form a skin).
- Serve with a salad.